English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is completed)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: This workshop is tailored to the needs of Native and Non-native 1st Year PhD students MPhil (Res).
- Native and Non-Native Postdocs, PhD and MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering ONLY
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: One two-hour session
Number of sessions: 1
|Wed 14 May||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 12||N.C. Cavaleri|
- Workshops are ‘hands-on’ where students work with, and edit text from a variety of sources relevant to their specialist field.
- Students’ work-in-progress and papers they are reading are used wherever possible to develop their awareness of good writing and critical ability.
- Students are encouraged to work in groups and share ideas- from student feedback on these workshops, it has been noted that peer feedback was found to play a key role in their success.
Frequency: As required.
- To develop students’ awareness of the reader’s aims
- To write in a clearer and more concise way in order to communicate ideas successfully
- To Inform you about what it means to be a successful writer and the importance of context (e.g. who is your reader, what are your assumptions about their knowledge of the topic?)
Topics covered: In this Workshop we will be drawing on published papers to discover what makes a good literature review in terms of, for example, consensus of view, current debate and controversies and ‘state of the art. If you are either planning or writing a literature review this is a good opportunity for you to discuss your text or plans and exchange ideas about how we go about finding relevant literature and organizing this important section.
- English: Speaking Skills: Fluency and Appropriacy
- English: Speaking Skills: Giving presentations in English
- English: Speaking Skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English: Writing: The Basics of Writing: Your Strategy
- English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 7 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English: Cultural Awareness
- English: Grammar for Speaking & Writing: Articles