English Writing Surgery - 4 WEEK COURSE ( Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
This course is intended for non-native speaker graduate students of Engineering who wish to improve their skills in writing dissertations, research papers and reports.
- The first hour of each session is teacher input and any areas arising from students’ needs
- The second hour of each session will be individual supervisions of work sent in to the teacher and there will be a sign-up sheet each week
- Please note that any text for marking and discussion needs to have been marked by the teacher prior to individual supervisions. This is to enable the effective use of students’ time allocation
- PostDocs, Non-Native PhD and Mphil by Research, the Department of Engineering
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
- Participants must be Non-native speakers
Number of sessions: 4
|1||Tue 28 May 2013 11:15 - 13:15||11:15 - 13:15||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||map||Sheila Dodds|
|2||Tue 4 Jun 2013 11:15 - 13:15||11:15 - 13:15||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||map||Sheila Dodds|
|3||Tue 11 Jun 2013 11:15 - 13:15||11:15 - 13:15||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||map||Sheila Dodds|
|4||Tue 18 Jun 2013 11:15 - 13:15||11:15 - 13:15||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||map||Sheila Dodds|
- Aspects of structure including cohesion and coherence
- Functional appropriateness of tenses
- Redundancy in text and work on avoiding it.
- Grammar e.g. article use; subject/verb agreement
To assist students working on their first year reports or dissertations, or those who are currently writing up research projects.
Class work and individual study
Course syllabus available
Four sessions of two hours
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English: Writing: The Basics of Writing: Your Strategy
- Engineering: English Presentation Skills (Department of Engineering ONLY)
- English: Speaking Skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English: Speaking Skills: Fluency and Appropriacy (Advanced)
- English: Grammar for Speaking & Writing: Articles
- English: INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION - Global English &'Enginese'
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
Booking / availability