English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 4 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is completed)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: Writing Stage - Developing Essay Patterns. Each of your chapters/sections of work focuses on different topics. How do you signify these differences in your work? In this session we look at the variety of ways you can organise your work, specifically, comparison/contrast; specific to general; general to specific; problem and solution; and listing. We will be looking at a mixture of texts for illustrative and evaluative purposes.
- Non-Native PostDocs, PhD and Mphil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: One session of two hours
Number of sessions: 1
|Wed 15 May||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 3B||Dr D.M.A. Chappell|
Format: Class work and individual study
- Participants must be Non-native speakers
- Assist students with aspects of structure, vocabulary and cohesion of texts
- help develop the ability to edit own texts
- develop an understanding of academic style and techniques for scientific writing
- Looking at a variety of ways you can organise your work, specifically, comparison/contrast; specific to general; general to specific; problem and solution; and listing.
Syllabus: Course syllabus for all 7 sessions is available
- English Speaking Skills: fluency
- English Speaking: Giving presentations in English
- English speaking skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English Focus on Writing - Lent
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English Writing Surgery - 4 WEEK COURSE ( Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English: Cultural Awareness Workshop 1 (Department of Engineering ONLY)
- English: Grammar Workshop - Using articles