English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 6 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is completed)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: Post-Writing Stage-Editing your work for Style. This is a very important stage in your writing and is often given less time than the Writing Stage. Here we examine ways to edit your work for style including redundant language (i.e. unnecessary words or sentences), appropriate vocabulary, lengthy sentences, etc. This is a good opportunity for you to practice the skills of editing by drawing on published examples of text. You are also welcome to bring along your own work for peer-editing.
- Non-Native PostDocs, PhD and Mphil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: One session of two hours
Number of sessions: 1
|Wed 29 May||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 3B||Dr D.M.A. Chappell|
Format: Class work and individual study
- Participants must be Non-native speakers
- Assist students with aspects of structure, vocabulary and cohesion of texts
- help develop the ability to edit own texts
- develop an understanding of academic style and techniques for scientific writing
- to examine ways to edit your work for style including redundant language (i.e. unnecessary words or sentences), appropriate vocabulary, lengthy sentences, etc..
Syllabus: Course syllabus for all 7 sessions is available
- English Speaking Skills: fluency
- English Speaking: Giving presentations in English
- English speaking skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English Focus on Writing - Lent
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English Writing Surgery - 4 WEEK COURSE ( Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English: Cultural Awareness Workshop 1 (Department of Engineering ONLY)
- English: Grammar Workshop - Using articles