English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
Provided by: ELU
Mon 14 Jul, Tue 15 Jul, ... Thu 24 Jul 2014 – Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room , Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 6
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is in the past)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: This is a two-week course which includes individual supervisions. It focuses on your own drafts of first year report, thesis, or research paper.
Week 1 comprises five 2-hour whole-class lessons, one each morning, and concentrates on writing abstracts, literature reviews, discussions and conclusions and on preparing poster presentations. It also includes one individual supervision of 30 minutes which will take place on one of the following afternoons: Thursday 17 July 2.30-4.30, or Friday 18 July 2.30-4.30.
In Week 2 there will be one 2-hour whole-class lesson on Thursday afternoon based on points arising from students’ work-in-progress, plus one individual supervision of an hour. The time of this will be arranged with the teacher at the start of the course and will be held at one of the following times: Monday, 21st July 2.30-4.30pm, Tuesday, 22nd July 11.30-1.30pm or 2.30-4.30pm, Wednesday, 23rd July 2.30-4.30pm.
- Please send in drafts of your own work for feedback. These can be any part of your report, dissertation or paper - or any other piece of scientific writing that is important to you.
- Please send in these drafts well in advance of the course start (at least a week!).
- Non-native PhD Engineering students ONLY
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: Six sessions of two hours plus 1.5 hour in total of indvidual supervisions
Number of sessions: 6
|Mon 14 Jul||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||H.R. East|
|Tue 15 Jul||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||H.R. East|
|Wed 16 Jul||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 6||H.R. East|
|Thu 17 Jul||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||H.R. East|
|Fri 18 Jul||11:00 - 13:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||H.R. East|
|Thu 24 Jul||14:30 - 16:30||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||Sheila Dodds|
Format: Six sessions of two hours
- Participants should be a 1st year PhD student although students at a later stage in their Doctoral studies are also welcome
Aims: To assist first year PhD students working on draft dissertations or theses
- Planning Stage - Structure and Content - Language and Style
- Literature review
- Discussions and Conclusions
- Preparing successful poster presentations
- Writing abstracts
Syllabus: Course syllabus is available