English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
This is one in a series of five Scientific Writing Skills Workshops tailored to the needs of the PhD/PostDoc Engineering student.
- Presenting your results and findings (see topics covered section for more details)
The following workshops are also available:
- Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- Working on the Discussions and Conclusions Sections
- What makes a good abstract and title?
- Preparing successful poster presentations
- Native AND Non-native 2nd and 3rd Year PhD students, MPhil (Res) and PostDocs from the Department of Engineering
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Number of sessions: 1
|1||Wed 30 Oct 2013 14:00 - 16:00||14:00 - 16:00||Department of Engineering, Lecture Room 3B||map||A.J. Tomura|
This Workshop concentrates on the language associated with presenting your findings in a coherent way. We will be drawing on published papers, together with your own texts to identify best ways to communicate your results in an unambiguous way.
- To develop students’ awareness of the reader’s aims
- To write in a clearer and more concise way in order to communicate ideas successfully
- To Inform you about what it means to be a successful writer and the importance of context (e.g. who is your reader, what are your assumptions about their knowledge of the topic?)
- Workshops are ‘hands-on’ where students work with, and edit text from a variety of sources relevant to their specialist field.
- Students’ work-in-progress and papers they are reading are used wherever possible to develop their awareness of good writing and critical ability.
- Students are encouraged to work in groups and share ideas- from student feedback on these workshops, it has been noted that peer feedback was found to play a key role in their success.
Course syllabus is available
One two-hour session
- English: Speaking Skills: Fluency and Appropriacy (Advanced)
- English: Speaking Skills: Presentation Skills
- English: Speaking Skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English: Writing: The Basics of Writing: Your Strategy
- English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 7 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English: Cultural Awareness
- English: Grammar for Speaking & Writing: Articles
Booking / availability