English: Communication Skills - Writing Workshop
Provided by: ELU
Wed 15 Jan 2014 – Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is in the past)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: This course is intended for non-native speaker PhD Engineering students who wish to improve their skills in writing dissertations, research papers and reports.
- Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: One two hour session
Number of sessions: 1
|Wed 15 Jan||14:00 - 16:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||A.J. Tomura|
Frequency: Once a year
Prerequisites: Must be PhD, postdoc or MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering.
Aims: The aims of this workshop are to:
- Examine ways of extending vocabulary range
- Study techniques for improving accuracy in spelling
- Explore common phrase patterns (e.g. collocations) used in the field of Engineering
- Clarify the notion of register in an academic context
Objectives: This two-hour workshop will explore techniques for building a wider vocabulary, including the use of synonym phrases, collocations and definitions. We will study ways of improving our spelling, and clarify our understanding of ‘register’. In doing so we will examine published papers and theses to see how writers use vocabulary effectively. Finally, we will look at online tools, such as concordancers, thesauruses and dictionaries, to see how they can be used to support our writing.
- Engineering: English Presentation Skills (Department of Engineering ONLY)
- English: Speaking - The Conference
- English: Writing: Achieving Synthesis 1
- English: Cultural Awareness
- English Cultural Awareness Workshop
- English: Cultural Workshop 2 (School of Technology)
- English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 7 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English Writing: Getting started: Purpose, Audience & Structure
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English: Grammar for speaking & writing: Articles
- English Speaking Skills: fluency and Appropriacy
- English Speaking: Giving presentations in English
- English speaking skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English Writing Surgery - 4 WEEK COURSE ( Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)