Self-taught courses are provided to meet the needs of people who:
- cannot attend (or wait for) formal taught courses
- would like to work at their own pace
- would like to supplement instructor led training
- would like to in some cases review more topics or advanced topics that are not offered by instructor led courses
The University Computing Service has a loan library based in its Reception area, New Museums Site.
The materials take various forms:
- tutorials on CD
- work book and work pack (work book and files).
Note that some require access to a computer with a particular version of software installed and with specific hardware (e.g. sound card etc.), although some can be used on Computing Service facilities, not all can; in particular any courseware that requiring installation on a computer cannot be used on the MCS.
A deposit of £20 is required for loaned self-taught courses, refundable when returned on time and in good condition. Non-members of the University qualify for a charge in addition to the deposit.
Self-taught Courses to Buy
A few courses in the form of work packs (work books with files supplied on disk), printed leaflets and books may be purchased from Computing Service Reception, New Museums Site. See the individual course descriptions for prices, we can only accept cash payment.