English Cultural Awareness Workshop
Provided by: ELU
Tue 20 May 2014 – Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room
Bookings cannot be made on this event
(Event is completed)
Register your interest - if you would be interested in additional dates being scheduled.
Description: English Cultural Awareness Workshop
- Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
Other postgraduate students and staff from the School of Technology may register and will be given any places that remain available.
- Further details regarding Engineering Language Unit's eligibility criteria are available
Duration: One session of 2 hours
Number of sessions: 1
|Tue 20 May||16:00 - 18:00||Department of Engineering, Language Unit Meeting Room||Sheila Dodds|
Format: Class work and participation
Frequency: Three times a year (Michaelmas, Lent and Easter terms)
- To focus on areas of cultural similarity and difference, with the aim of highlighting the importance of intercultural awareness in a multicultural environment such as the University.
- To focus on the British lifestyle in particular, considering aspects of behaviour, manners, social conventions and traditions that may be unfamiliar to students.
- To consider both the impressions and the expectations of participants, with the aim of answering questions about any aspects of living in Britain that are of particular interest or concern.
- For this seminar, the final choice of topics will take into account particular areas of interest, and you are encouraged to email any questions in advance to: Sheila Dodds (smd48)
- THIS IS A REPEAT OF THE WORKSHOP HELD IN MICHAELMAS 2013
- Engineering: English Presentation Skills (Department of Engineering ONLY)
- English: Cultural Awareness
- English Focus on Writing 3 - Session 7 (Nonnative Postdoc, PhD and MPhil by Research Engineering ONLY)
- English Writing: Getting started: Purpose, Audience & Structure
- English Focus on Writing - Non-native PhD and Postdoc, MPhil by Research students from the Department of Engineering
- English: Grammar for Speaking & Writing: Articles
- English Speaking Skills: Pronunciation Skills
- English Speaking Skills: Fluency and Appropriacy
- English Speaking Skills: Giving presentations in English
- English: Writing Skills Two week intensive (PhD Engineering ONLY)
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Planning and Writing the Literature Review
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Presenting your Results and Findings
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - What makes a good Abstract and Title?
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Working on the Discussion and Conclusions Sections
- English: Writing Skills Workshop - Preparing Successful Poster Presentations