Hiring UIS Training Facilities
The University Information Service has four training facilities that can be hired if available.
- Phoenix Teaching Room 1, 25 MCS Windows/Linux Workstations
- Titan 1 Teaching Room, 40 MCS Windows/Linux Workstations
- Titan 2 Teaching Room, 40 MCS Windows/Linux Workstations
- Phoenix Teaching Room 2, 15 MCS Macintosh Workstations
All training facilities are equipped with an instructor machine, projectors, sound systems, microphones and induction loops.
In general bookings can only be made if the software required for the course is currently installed on the MCS workstations and the course lecturer and students are eligible to use the software under its license agreement.
Please refer to Software on the MCS for a list of software on the MCS.
Induction of the Training Facilities
Lecturers/Trainers/Presenters that have not used the venue before or in the last year must attend an induction of the training facility within two weeks of the course, as operational support is not supplied during the course unless in an emergency.
MCS Login Accounts
Each teaching room has a number of workstations with MCS Software installed. Access to the workstations is gained by existing personal MCS accounts or for the purpose of a course by temporary course identifiers. If course identifiers are required this must be requested at the time of booking. Typically departments ask their students to use their own MCS accounts. If this is the case please remind them to have their MCS password handy.
Any files that need to be copied to the workstations must be supplied in advance of the course.
Facility bookings incur a sliding scale charge dependent on the usage volume. A price will be supplied after we receive your initial booking or contact email@example.com for further details. For University Departments the price excludes VAT. For all other non University Departments including Colleges, Affiliated Institutions and Student Societies the price is plus VAT.
Booking a Training Facility
If the software is installed on the MCS, and you would like to book a University Information Services please supply the following information and email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility booker contact details (dept/college/organisation, name, tel no):
- Title of the course:
- Purpose of facility booking:
- Is the facility booking for academic teaching (yes/no):
- Lecturer/Trainer/Presenter details (name, email, tel no):
- Maximum number of students:
- Software and version (please check that it is available before booking):
- Operating System:
- Date(s) of Facility booking:
- Start time:
- End time:
- Setup time required (if applicable):
- Have you booked/used our training facilities before? (yes/no):
- Do you require temporary MCS course identifiers to be allocated to your students? (this is infrequent as students of the University qualify for their own MCS account) (yes/no):
- Do files need to be copied to the workstations to work on during the course? (yes/no):
- If booking the Titans do you require them to be interlinked to become a single 80 seater teaching room? (yes/no)